Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I see some old friends riding down the street/on the bikes we used to ghostride on the playground...

...but I broke my bike last fall
and my parents were appalled
at my lack of respect for personal property

well, i have never pretended my powers of observation were anything but superlame. as i sat at this very computer, posting on my blog, and staring out the sliding glass doors into our back yard and the small field that slopes away and then up again on the other side and wishing i had a hill...

yeah. exactly.

needless to say, the boys and i went out in the gorgeous sun in our back yard and i put my oldest on his bike at the top of the slope, and gave him a gentle shove and watched him steer and peddle for at least a good twenty feet before cranking a hard left and toppling over, giggling the entire time.

we did this for an hour. he was sweaty and grinning from ear to ear. so was i. (grinning from ear to ear, i wasn't nearly as sweaty as he was!)

the only dark smudge on the afternoon is when no. 2 wanted to try the two-wheel bike, and went two feet before jamming the handlebars to one side and then trying to dive off the bike as it fell and landing upon one of the now upjutting bars, knocking the wind out of himself, scaring the shit out of me, and quite clinching the fact with all and sundry that i don't yet need to remove his training wheels.

and we are just in from repeating the scenario again today.

and no. 1 is just a few feet away from having discovered a freedom he has only dreamt of.

darth sardonic

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gringa-n-Mexico said...

I think it's terribly sweet that #2 is still giving it a try - what a trooper :) And oh man, the first time you get the wind knocked out of you is TERRIBLE! I know I'll never forget it, and if it ever happens to Daisy I'll probably pee my pants. :D

12:11 AM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

yep gringa, i still remember my first time. rope swing. nuff said.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home