Monday, March 03, 2008

gainfully employed...

i have applied for a civilian dental assisting position at the base's dental clinic.

i hate, and i mean abhor, writing resumes (who doesn't, right?). i have eight years experience with the air force, assisting specialties that range all over the dental map. i am confident in my abilities without being cocky, and yet still quite trainable. so why the fuck can't i just show up and show you what i am capable of? or even sit down with a group of live people, and discuss what kind of experience i have. and we all know that i am not really one for talking myself up, which makes writing a resume even more difficult, because it is little more than that. i would much rather just show you what i can do and let you draw your own conclusions.

instead, i have to find my training records (that was fucking fun, luckily i had a fair idea where they were), and fax that with a resume over and include a copy of my current cpr card (?!!!!!?) and they would send over my application with the other six (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) who have already applied.

i felt the burning, aching desire to throw my arms into the air and give up. i would have to dig out my training records, write the resume from scratch, and i don't even have a current cpr card. and there are six applicants ahead of me. i am fucked, forget it.

thank christ for the other half of my inner monologue, the asshole:

"you want this job, right?"

"well, yeah, it is the perfect job for me."

"and you know you are more than qualified, right?"

"of course."

"then fucking get up off your lazy, whiney ass and get out there and make this fucking thing happen!! god, you are pathetic!!"

and i did something not like me, and that even surprised myself: i threw on a t-shirt and shoes and went into the garage and found my certificates. i sat back down at the computer, and banged out a resume. due to the time factor, i did it rapidly and efficiently, though maybe not as well as i might have if i had a few days. then i leapt in the car and sped to the medical clinic to see about cpr classes. that turned out to be a dead end (i only today found out about the classes, and won't even be able to attend one till saturday, but i am gung ho all the way!), but i faxed off what i had with a promise to get cracking on the cpr class asap.

because, as i told my asshole inner voice, "all i can do is my best with what i have been given and hope that it catches their eye. if it doesn't happen, then it wasn't meant to be (oh god, thy name is candide, hahaha)."

the other half of me grudgingly agreed, and even sorta patted me on the back when he thought i wasn't looking.

here's hoping that the effort worked, o my beloved non-existant readers.

darth sardonic

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Krissie said...

Fingers crossed.
All I can do, really.
But hey, it's from Croatia so it's gotta count for something, right?

11:46 AM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

yes, krissie, and i think it will be my furthest-away pair of crossed fingers, so that should count for even more. ty.

3:36 AM  
Blogger zirelda said...

You're a dental dude? Wow....

good luck.

6:18 PM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

ty z-will have a better idea after i fax off my cpr card after the class on sat.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home