Wednesday, June 20, 2007

tagged--18 and...

dj kirby tagged me with a musically-inlcined tag this time around. i'm sposed to travel back in time to when i was 18, wax nostalgic about the music i listened to, and tell you all about it. this oughtta be lots of fun:

the university. it was my first time out from under the oppressive thumb of my uber-conservative dad and stepmom, and by god, i was going to enjoy it. i grew my hair out and ratted it into a snarl a la robert smith, of the cure (and frequently wore the white base, black eyeliner, and garish red lipstick to complete the ensemble), dressed in nothing but black nearly every day (shit, i still do that a bit), and wished i was dead 90% of the time.

i wanted to be different. i wanted to be the same. i wanted to be liked. i wanted to be despised. i desperately wanted to date as many girls as i could (in high school, due mostly to the aforementioned looney folks, i had had one, and only one, official date), but i didn't want to belong to the mainstream. so i did what any 18-year-old does when he wants to be a noncomformist: i conformed to the popular subculture (hahahaha, we all think we are so fucking cool, that we are doing something that has never been done, that we are proving our independance, when in reality, we just pick option "b", buy the appropriate uniform (with one or two "personal" twists), and hang out with people exactly like us.

so you, o beloved non-existant readers, will hopefully forgive me if my list of songs isn't familiar to any of you. i will also point out that the bands/songs i list here are all songs i still listen to today. these are not the songs of a fleeting moment, these are songs that affected my life.

the very first song that came to my mind when i read what was expected of me this time around, was dear god, by midge ure. this song is actually quite like a soft pop song, building in intensity towards the end, with expansive and epic feel. a beautiful song, i recommend it for anyone. the former lead singer of ultravox takes on spirituality vs. humanity. and don't worry, the god of the title isn't being railed against, if you listen close, we as humans are: we had it all, and we threw it all away/give me, love for the lonely/give me, food for the hungry/give me, peace in a restless world.

so this would fall at the top of my list, and i recommend everyone check it out, i think it will be a crowd-pleaser.

as for the rest of the list, well, take your chances, heh heh.

i fell asleep listening to skinny puppy once (the album cleanse, fold, and manipulate), and had horrible and strange nightmares and woke feeling anxious and paranoid. i still love old skinny puppy, but make a habit of not sleeping to their music.

anything by bauhaus, but especially all we ever wanted was everything, it's a simple song, but something about it fit my general mood of "what's the fucking point?" that i had at 18.

the cure, obviously. a night like this was a good one, i was "coming to find" her if it took me all night, i thought, hahaha. also, inbetween days, which is sort of a break-up song, but with surprisingly upbeat music. odd, i was listening to that kind of stuff the other day and posted about it, hmmmm.... a running theme, maybe?

joy division. ah, one cannot begin to capture how connected i felt to joy division. the lead singer had killed himself after they had been a band maybe 2 or 3 years (the rest of the band went on to become new order), and their songs were mostly dark, and brooding. i loved it. i love it still.

a plethera of punk bands: the clash, sex pistols, minor threat, 7 seconds, the exploited, dead kennedys, et al.

and finally, and to keep this semi simple (too late), the smiths and morrissey. morrissey has never written a happy song in his life. and while i find some of it a bit whiney now, i really felt that morrissey "got" me at the time, new the pain i was going through (it's called "teen-angst" ya dippy, and nearly everyone goes through it, god i was a pain in the ass to be around at 18!).

as far as who to tag with this, i will have to get back to you on that, as i have to get ready to take the kids to their therapy.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Fire Byrd said...

Weren't we all, we thought we were so uber cool, and it's only years later that we realise what complete plonkers we were.

by which time we can see it all from a certain wistul nostalgia and smile indulently at ourselves.

whilst at the same time telling the hooligan and all like him, that they need to grow up or whatever.

Youth is wasted on them. We should only get it when we reach a certain age , the one before senility obviously.
px

8:27 AM  
Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

But if you go back to the music you listened to when you were 18, those people were around the same age and feeling the same things. I still listen to 18-year-olds. Guess that means I never grew up.

11:26 AM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

I find you insightful, sensitive, and funny on a daily basis; but we walk a different path musically my friend.

I do know how I am hit with memories specific to different pieces of music, and how they can make me feel the age I was "then". I think we all do that, and we were all eighteen in our own special way eh?

2:31 PM  
Blogger Queen Vixen said...

Yes yes yes - its all so familiar. Ultravox, Joy Division - big favourite in our sixth form room. Oh for those days of angst and oppression, rebellion and the all black wardrobe. Hang on ?... so what has actually changed?

and before I forget

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Darth
Happy birthday to you

xx

2:40 PM  
Blogger Keeping It Real said...

You're right. I don't recognize any of those.

5:03 PM  
Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

Loved your bit about teen angst and 'unique' dress sense, have been trying to explain just that to number 1 son!

10:39 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Just catching up on the last couple of posts.. Happy Father's Day to you AND Happy Birthday!!

As for the music.. The people I knew when I was 18 were all Deaf so I relied heavily on MTV for music videos that were captioned and figured out what I liked from there. I recognize a few bands you listed, but the majority draw a blank with me.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home