Sunday, January 29, 2006

lloyd

my mom's fourth husband was a widower that she married when i was older and had been living on my own for some time.

my first impression of him was that he was a grumpy old codger who liked things a certain way and grumbled whenever his routine got changed. he smoked like a chimney, and watched tv incessantly.

over the years, we developed a mutual respect. despite being a curmudgeon, he took good care of my mom, and made sure she had what she needed and wanted. he was genuinely concerned for my well-being, often insisting on a call if i was going on long trips to make sure that i had arrived safely.

we would watch reruns of murder she wrote, and he would tolerate my smart-ass mst3k commentary, and sometimes even laughed at my jokes. we discussed politics and the day-to-day. our mutual respect developed into friendship.

when i had children, a new side to lloyd bloomed before my eyes. he loved to receive high fives from my little rugrats, he smiled and laughed at their antics. he would pull them up into his lap and sit with them. there was a twinkle in his eyes when they were around.

lloyd passed away early saturday morning. i took the news well, since he had been ill with one thing or another for a very long time, and i honestly was surprised he had lived as long as he had.

but today, no. 1, in his cute little four-year-old voice, eyes wide and innocent, asked, "where's grandpa?" while we were at my mom's house, and i have not been the same since.

lloyd, i know you are well, and i know you are with theo, and i know you are happy. i hope you know that you are missed.

darth sardonic

1 Comments:

Blogger SarahJane said...

My dear friend. I am so sorry for your loss. I think about you all the time. My kids are often asking questions about my dear Aunt Somer. It pulls at my heart. I can't imagine how they would feel at losing a beloved grandparent. I hope that you feel my love for you. Know that I welcome any contact from you. You have been and are one of my very best friends. If you have the need to talk please don't hesitate to call on me. All my love.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home