Tuesday, July 03, 2007

how many are going to st. ives?

round two:

the kids are clearly ready for bed a little early tonight, and so i grant them my wish. then, around 11, i head to bed too. the mugginess of the house had made it a little hard to lay down and settle in, but it wasn't too much later before i was right out.

i awake to every light in the house on and the demonspawn laughing and shouting with glee.

it is 1:45, a.m.

apparently the things for which kids awake in the middle of the night are: games, sesame street, yogurt, and the four riders of the apocalypse (you may know them as the teletubbies), and there is nowt for it but to make coffee, turn off all the lights, and hope what tattered and tiny shred of sanity i was harboring like a fugitive manages to hold out longer than their ability to stay awake. somehow, i doubt it.

we have played this game before. it was many many years ago, before no. 2 got tubes in his ears to help prevent the all-night painful infections he would get on a regular basis. (of course, back in those days, i had a huge overstuffed rocking chair firmly implanted in front of a tv equipped with several movie channels, so that i might find something i didn't mind watching all night long.) in my experience, we will be up until around five, when complete and utter exhaustion will finally wipe us all out.

the cats, who more or less slept all day, are smart enough to stay away from me this time around. (most likely, they are asleep somewhere, much like they did all day.) the kids, who did not sleep all day, are not that clever. no. 1 finally was told to "shush!"

to which he replied, "don't tell me 'shush'."

followed by my quit retort, "i telling you shush! and if you don't, i will smack your face."

in a rare moment of brilliance, he listened.

darth sardonic

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger lady macleod said...

"the demonspawn" I'm still LOL. Criminy you are funny, exhausted and frustrated, and at the end of your rope I am sure, but hysterical none the less.

best of it to you ole son. keep breathing.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Sparx said...

Oh my dear Darth, I can only imagine... what happened to the over-stuffed armchair? Methinks you need it...

2:52 AM  
Blogger wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

Hopefully, you'll get more sleep tonight. Sounds like you all need it (except the cats).

3:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I take it your idea of smacking was different from the smack in my blog post...

12:00 PM  
Blogger jAMiE said...

I don't know how you do it...but you do. i hope you're feeling lots better and got some much needed sleep.

ps...thank you for the link

2:22 PM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

yes snuff, actually, i threaten to smack them in the face, but i really mean bottom. i got walloped across the mouth so many damn times as a kid/teen that i won't do it to my kids. i think it is sadistic, and beyond that, i am afraid that i won't have any kind of control, due to my previous experiences as the recipient, and will hurt them. i would only punch them if they were already causing me bodily harm without prior provocation, and boy o boy, if that ever happens, god help em. sparx, i got rid of the chair because if i am afforded a comfy rocker in front of the tv, i have trouble leaving it. then i get fat. then i hate myself and get depressed, lol. so no chair. but yes, i was missing it htat night. jaimie, i do it for the love of the game, lol, and sometimes i do it cause i just gotta, cause i have absolutely no other choice.

7:58 PM  
Blogger The Good Woman said...

Glad to hear you share my opinion of the Teletubbies. Scarey little suckers those...

12:46 AM  
Blogger Queen Vixen said...

Oh the memories. Ear infection nightmare - been there, all night vigils, groan! Strength to your arm Darth. Teletubbies! You are sooo right - I apologise, (on behalf of residents of the UK), that we came up with concept.

2:59 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Nothing like those exhausted nights AND days. I don't know how we keep on going, but somehow we do! Thank GOD my kids never took up with the 'demonspawn' I only had to put up with, "I love you, you love me....."

7:47 PM  
Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

Poor you, much easier to cope with a full quota of sleep isnt it?

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home