Sunday, October 14, 2007

this song is a...

poem to myself,/it helps me to live...

i love brit slang, and kudos to pixie for dropping the phrases that really fit: "barking mad" and "can't be arsed" (or that may have been sparx), and the latest, "knackered."

yes, i have been knackered. still am, actually. and knackered combined with certain outer stimuli, leads to being down.

the kids, and friends' troubles, are but a few of these outer stimuli that lead to negative sensory overload and the resulting funk.

one of my friends is on the mend. the other seems to continue having a rough time, for many reasons, some of which may be her own fault. whatever.

nothing is quite as good at dispelling the funk as the right soundtrack.

because i was grumpy friday, i found an old mix cd i knew to be chock-full of grumpy music that i had made to listen to whilst hauling pizzas prior to leaving pizza hell when the wife left. this cd is a message from the past-me to the present-me. in essence, the past-me said, "it aint fucking worth being this grumpy, but hey, i am gonna help you get ungrumpy in the way that i know works best for us."

the cd starts off with the angry music, which allows me to get mad (though, admittedly, in this case, mad at nothing in particular. just angry in general. which is a natural and necessary follow-on to being in the funk). not sparing the horses while belting out: You had time to waste and I'm not sorry,/such a basket case, hide the cutlery./I had time to kill, it's dead and buried./You've got guts to spill but no one trustworthy is good for the soul, though a tad hard on the vocal chords.

then it handed me a few of my happy songs (most notably, nofx's cover of gin n juice, which i simply can't listen to without smiling), which i had honestly forgotten were on there, and came at just the right time to burn off the remaining anger like cooking wine and taking with it any traces of the funk.

so now i guess i am just plain knackered.

darth sardonic

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a little music can't do... I hope you get un-knackered soon and that you'll be able to finally start doing whatever you're procrastinating on.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

sound plain pissed off to me!!!

we use the term differently here.

So glad to oblige with my slang, I'll try and maintain my standards.
pxx

1:46 PM  
Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

Hope you've burnt off whatever was getting you down and that you feel better soon.

10:52 PM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

pixie, i was saying that i had burned the anger off and with it went the funk, and when it was over, i was just plain exhausted. hope that was the right context.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home