Monday, March 17, 2008

rapscallions and strumpets

i live on a cul-de-sac, which will heretofore and forever be referred to as "the cove."

the majority of the inhabitants of the cove are, in their own subtley unique ways, alot like the wife and i. they are also very friendly. which means, if we don't already have something planned, our weekends are more or less booked.

and the wife and i are not complaining. first of all, it is nice to know that if we want, we can just grab our favorite drinks of a friday eve and simply step out of the front door and join the party already in progress.

the wife is always a hostess, and in the past and other places has invited many people over for dinner, so that she might cook and serve and such things that keep her sane and happy. in the cove, she is not alone. matter of fact, just last night, we were all congegrated in front of a largish table full of food brought from every corner of our little street, things ranging from london broil to thai green curry (my wife's), combined with jostling, laughing, drinking, the telling of stories and jokes, and the general ribbing that occurs among the more base members of society.

that is to say, they are very "come as you are" and "what you see is what you get," which has always sort of appealed to the wife and i, because we are very much the same.

but it doesn't really stop there. not only do we seem to be fairly evenly matched with the other members of the cove in spirit and general attitude, but the wife and i are not the only ones with a giving and open nature. mi casa es tu casa isn't something just verbalized on the cove, it is practiced.

we ran into good friends of ours that were stationed with us in alaska (he was my supervisor there) and he had an in with the powers that be that would be reviewing my resume, and after finding out i was applying for a job there at the dental clinic, made a point of stopping in and putting in a good word for me.

so today, i get a call. i have an interview to talk with these same powers that be on wednesday!

we just paid off our other car, and not having a car payment frees up even more money for applying to credit card bills.

the sun is shining, the breeze has a hint of sea salt, and i am sorta smiling, in my smirky, i-have-a-secret kinda way.

i was talking to a friend, and she said "you seem to be doing pretty well for yourself in florida."

and you know what, o my beloved non-existant readers? she's goddamn right.

we are.

darth sardonic

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger zirelda said...

I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood like that, but my neighborhood is so not like that.

We have the guy across the street that drinks like I cannot belive. The house next door that's been for sale for 2 years now. The older guy next to them that scowled at me when I took him mail that was in my box accidently and the people next door who I have never spoken to but have heard some very loud arguments coming from their front door. Dan says they talk but all I can hear in my mind is the guy saying "You look like a two dollar hooker on dollar day," and I'm not so sure I want to talk to him. lol

I'm glad you're doing well and happy there Darth.

I hope you get the job.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Krissie said...

CONGRATS!

Sorry, just kidding.

Seriously...

3:52 PM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

lol z, that sounds like a different kind of fun.

krissie, those are wonderful! they crack me up like crazy.

ty both

3:41 AM  
Blogger zirelda said...

I tagged you for a Six Word Memoir. I'm very interested in what you would say. :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger darth sardonic said...

ok, z, i will check it out today

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home